ASSISTANT OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF INSTRUCTION, MODERN HEBREW
The Middle East and North African Studies Program (MENA) at Northwestern University, in conjunction with the Jewish Studies Program, invites applications for a member of the teaching-track faculty in Modern Hebrew language at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor of Instruction. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position starting September 1, 2017. Duties include teaching three language courses each quarter, altogether nine courses over one academic year.
Experience teaching Hebrew in North American higher education settings and native fluency or its equivalent in Hebrew is required. Masters degree in Hebrew language or a closely related area is required; Ph.D. in Hebrew language, literature, or Middle East studies is preferred. Applicants should be able to teach all levels of Hebrew, from elementary to advanced. Where applicable, candidates should indicate teaching proficiency in other languages offered in Northwestern’s MENA program or in non-modern registers of Hebrew.
The MENA Program offers an undergraduate major, a minor, and a PhD certificate program. It features both topics courses in a range of disciplines and a dynamic team of language instructors in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish. The Jewish Studies Program is an interdisciplinary unit that offers an undergraduate major and minor, as well as curriculum for graduate students; it is housed in The Crown Family Center for Jewish and Israel Studies.
Applicants should submit a letter of application, CV, teaching portfolio (course syllabi, teaching evaluations), and three professional references who will submit letters of recommendation (at least two of which should be able to comment on the applicant’s teaching abilities) electronically via the below link. For fullest consideration, application materials must be received by November 15, 2016. Questions may be sent to email@example.com.
The Program in Middle East and North African Studies is committed to a diverse faculty, in terms of gender, ethnic and racial diversity as understood both in the United States and in the Middle East. We encourage applications from women and ethnic, racial, and religious minorities.
AA/EOE. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 8 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by November 15, 2016, will be ensured full consideration. You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
If you have any questions about submitting your application, please contact the MENA Program at 847-467-5314 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please follow this link to the application page: